The IFIE Scholarship for NBPTS Candidates for National Board Certification will assist members in funding the candidacy for National Board Certification. The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) has nationally certified 91, 000 teachers nationwide! Indiana has thousands of excellent teachers, yet only 151 Indiana teachers have National Board Certification.
What is National Board Certification?
National Board Certification is a voluntary assessment program designed to identify, recognize and reward accomplished teachers who meet high and rigorous standards. National Board Certification is an advanced teaching credential. It complements, but does not replace, a state’s teacher license. It is valid for 10 years. In Indiana, if you need to renew your license, you can renew it for 10 years instead of 5 years if you have National Board Certification!
Who is eligible?
You must have a baccalaureate degree, have three years teaching experience, and hold a valid state teaching license.
What are the standards and certificate areas?
Standards for 16 subject areas are developed and validated according the these five core principals:
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience
- Teachers are members of learning communities
Subject area certificates include the following:
Career & Technical
|English as a New Language
|English Language Arts
||Exceptional Needs Specialist
||Social Studies – History
||World Languages Other than English
What is required of Candidates?
The rigor of NBPTS standards leads candidates to spend approximately 200-400 hours preparing for and completing the certification process. The components consist of four portfolio entries featuring teaching practices and six online constructed response exercises that assess content knowledge. Basically, you are analyzing and reflecting upon your own teaching through video recordings, student work samples, documented accomplishments that impact student learning, and written responses. Portfolios must be submitted by May 16 and the online assessments must be completed by June 15.
How much does it cost?
The assessment fee is $2,500, including a non-refundable fee of $500. In addition, there is a $65 non-refundable processing fee due at the time of application. Financial assistance is available through the state and perhaps through your school district.
Possible support for funding can be sought through the following:
- Indiana Department of Education Support Specialist-Licensing Rachel Hardy firstname.lastname@example.org
- ISTA Scholarship for members - Click Here to apply for the IFIE Scholarship for NBPTS Candidates for National Board Certification for $500 (this scholarship will be a check reimbursed to you)
What are the professional benefits?
- Strengthens teaching practice
- Improves student learning
- Advances careers
- Increases financial opportunities - Some locals in Indiana offer incentive pay towards salary schedule.
- Many states recognize National Board Certification as sufficient proof for state licensure, allowing movement from state to state.
- NBC candidacy contributes to Indiana 90 hours of licensing
- NBCT’s can earn graduate credit for completing the certification process.
- What is TAKE ONE!?
Don’t feel you want to take the plunge to complete the entire process yet? Sign up for TAKE ONE! Teachers prepare and submit one pre-selected video portfolio entry. A teacher can later transfer the score if he or she pursues National Board Certification within two years. Cost is $395.
Interested? Need help? Want to find out more?
Call 1-800-22TEACH or visit www.nbpts.org.
Contact our state subsidy coordinator Rachel Hardy email@example.com
The recipient must be an ISTA member and be a candidate through NBPTS for National Board Certification. Applications must be submitted by December 18.
Self nominations only are appropriate.
Selection of Recipient
The IFIE Board will review submitted scholarship applications and award scholarships up to $500 each for as many applicants as can be funded up to a total of $5000.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by January 15. The IFIE Board will request after May 16 verification of candidate completion. Recipients of scholarship money of candidates who do not complete the National Board Certification portfolio process by May 16 will refund awarded money to IFIE.