The IFIE Scholarship for NBPTS Candidates for National Board Certification will assist members in funding the candidacy for National Board Certification. The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) has nationally certified 91, 000 teachers nationwide! Indiana has thousands of excellent teachers, yet only 151 Indiana teachers have National Board Certification.
National Board Certification Support
What is National Board Certification?
National Board Certification is a voluntary assessment program designed to identify, recognize and reward accomplished teachers who meet high and rigorous standards. National Board Certification is an advanced teaching credential. It complements, but does not replace, a state’s teacher license. It is valid for 10 years. In Indiana, if you need to renew your license, you can renew it for 10 years instead of 5 years if you have National Board Certification!
Who is eligible?
You must have a baccalaureate degree, have three years teaching experience, and hold a valid state teaching license.
What are the standards and certificate areas?
Standards are developed and validated according the these five core principals:
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience
- Teachers are members of learning communities
What are the professional benefits?
- Strengthens teaching practice
- Improves student learning
- Advances careers
- Increases financial opportunities - Some locals in Indiana offer incentive pay towards salary schedule.
- Many states recognize National Board Certification as sufficient proof for state licensure, allowing movement from state to state.
- NBC candidacy contributes to Indiana 90 hours of licensing
- NBCT’s can earn graduate credit for completing the certification process.
Interested? Need help? Want to find out more?
Call 1-800-22TEACH or visit www.nbpts.org.
Contact Mark Shoup at email@example.com
The recipient must be an ISTA member and be a candidate through NBPTS for National Board Certification. Applications must be submitted by February.
Self nominations only are appropriate.
Selection of Recipient
The IFIE Board will review submitted scholarship applications and award scholarships up to $500 each for as many applicants as can be funded up to a total of $2,400.