The message was simple. Students deserve a teacher who knows how to teach.
That is what a coalition of leaders representing professional and parent organizations said today at a news conference concerning the adjunct permit approved by the State Board of Education earlier this month.
The coalition led by ISTA asked the State Board of Education to rescind the adjunct permit. Their full statement can be read here. A transcript of President Teresa Meredith’s remarks and a video of the entire news conference can be found here.
Those in attendance were:
- State Rep Vernon Smith, House District 14; Professor and Coordinator of Educational Leadership Program at IU-Northwest
- Dr. Laurie Mullen, Associate Dean of Teacher Education, Ball State University representing the Indiana Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- Sharon Wise, President, Indiana PTA
- Dr. J.T. Coopman, Executive Director of the Indiana Association of Public School Superintendents
- Bianka Teeters, President of the Indiana Student Education Association
- Dr. Vic Smith, President of the Board of Directors of the Indiana Coalition for Public Education
- Dr. Linda Houser, Assistant Dean for Program Evaluation and Assessment, IUPUI, representing the Association of Teacher Educators
- Dr. Charles Little, Executive Director, Indiana Urban Schools Association